Roster for Vince Ryan Memorial Hockey Tournament
The 29th Annual Molson Canadian Coors Light Vince Ryan Memorial Hockey Tournament will be held from Thursday, March 22th to Sunday March 25, 2018.
This tournament is the largest adult recreational hockey tournament of its kind. Every year on beautiful Cape Breton Island, approximately 160 teams from across Canada and the United States gather. In addition to the excellent hockey and hospitality, the tournament offers great nightly entertainment; two tournament dances and the tournament wouldn’t be complete without the participation of former N.H.L players.
The Vince Ryan Memorial Hockey Tournament is a registered non-profit organization with all proceeds going to a scholarship fund for graduates of all schools in the Cape Breton Victoria Regional School Board. Over the years, the tournament has awarded over $770,000 in scholarships and generates 5.1 million dollars in four short days to the economy of Cape Breton Island, annually. It is with your participation that this success will continue.
Teams will experience hospitality like no other place in the world. This, partnered with the beautiful scenery that Cape Breton Island has to offer, will make for an experience that your team won’t soon forget.
Teams should be aware that admission is on a first come first serve basis, so be sure to register early. .Registration is not complete until full payment is received. A team cannot be entered in the tournament via a verbal agreement, nor will partial payments be accepted.
Teams registering after this time either in person or by mail must pay a registration fee of $870.00 which includes your team only draw anyone wishing to purchase more tickets for this can pick them up at the office .
Due to the limited amount of ice time we suggest that your team registers early as we had to turn away more than 35 teams last year. The final registration is January 29th with rosters no later turned in to the office than February 12, 2018 at 4pm when the tournament office closes. This will assist with the tournament scheduling and on-line information which will benefit your team.
Teams can also purchase more team-only draw tickets through the tournament office. Payments are to be made at the tournament office located at 106 Reserve Street, Glace Bay Nova Scotia (902-849-1133). Out of town teams can phone toll free at 1-888-731-4488. There will be no exceptions made for teams wishing to register after the above date.
If your team is not paid by the closing date whether local or out of town your team will not be entered in the tournament.
Please include the team roster with your registration.
- All local teams MUST be available to play on Thursday.
- Any off-island teams wishing to play on Thursday should notify the tournament office as soon as possible.
- Any teams not playing on Thursday will begin on Friday and games could be scheduled as early as 12 noon.
- Please ensure appropriate travel arrangements are made prior to entering the tournament.
- There will be NO scheduling requests accepted from any team, local or outside Industrial Cape Breton.
- Teams should be aware that refunds of tournament registration will only be made prior to the closing date of team registration. If for any reason, your team decides to withdraw from the Vince Ryan Memorial Scholarship Tournament after this date your team will not receive a refund.
- Division selection is based on past tournament results and/or discussion with new teams.
- All games are to be 2-20 minute periods stop clock. If teams are tied at the end of regulation, a five (5) minute stop time, sudden death overtime period will be played. The overtime will be played four(4) on four(4). If the teams are tied at the end of the overtime period, the game will be decided by a shoot-out (see CARHA shoot -out rules).
Players can only play on multiple teams if not in same division. We will not adjust scheduling to accommodate players on multiple teams.
Tournament organizers will do their best to have your team placed in the correct division, which makes providing rosters with initial payment essential.
Team packages can be picked up at the tournament office only at 106 Reserve Street, Glace Bay. Packages will be available from Thursday, March 23th through Saturday, March 25th, 2017. Packages will not be available after the completion of the tournament.
It has been brought to our attention that some teams have been playing with underage players. The only exception to this rule is that of goaltenders, the minimum age for this position has been reduced by five years in each division.
All participants of the Vince Ryan Hockey Tournament must be 19 years of age or older. There will be random checks during the tournament and if it is discovered that a team has an underage player all members of the team will be removed from the tournament and suspended from playing in future Vince Ryan Memorial Scholarship Hockey Tournaments.
Also, if it is discovered that a team has brought in new players for the championship game whether during the tournament, or after, the team will not be permitted to register for the tournament for two consecutive years.
The tournament consists of the following divisions:
19+ (Men’s) 19+ (Women’s) 25 (Mens) 30+ (Men’s) 30+ (Women’s) 40 (Womens)35+ (Men) – Consists of over 14 divisions 40+ (Men’s) 45+ (Men’s) 50+ (Men’s) 55+ (Men’s) 60+ (Men’s) Fire Department – This division is open to members of fire departments, only. Law Enforcement – This division is open to law enforcement only; which includes Police, RCMP, Security and Military, etc
Local hotels are available during the tournament. It is recommended that you book early as rooms do fill up quickly.
If you require assistance, please Contact Us.